A sultry early autumn evening is so much more alluring with the soft sounds of music, couples gliding across a polished ballroom floor, cool beverages, and exciting entertainment.
On August 24 from 6:00pm to 9:00pm, the Bards of Birmingham held
our first ever Masquerade Ball Woodrow Hall! The event is set to become our annual summer fundraiser.
Guests were greeted with with fabulous decor and delicious
food items all prepared by our volunteers and board members. The event space was beautifully decorated with props and pieces to create the them of a classical Shakespearean play on the tables.
Some guests came in their own gorgeous costumes, while others rented a costume from the Bards of Birmingham's selection of handmade costumes from our costume closet. For those guests needing a mask, the young Bards had decorated masks to sell for a donation.
In the ballroom guests were able to participate in a silent auction for a chance to own one of fifty available items donated by local business and friends of the Bards of Birmingham. Music played throughout the night and guests danced to nearly every possible kind of music.
Throughout the night, the Bards of Birmingham unmasked the exciting new season for the 2012-2013 year. The event was a huge success and a lot of fun for everyone! Make your plans to come back next year!
Guests were also treated to entertainments from our very own Bards in a Box as they performed scenes from William Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing" as this play features a masquerade ball and our guests became a part of the play.
You can view the rest of the pictures from the ball below as well as see the items that were donated for the silent auction. Thank you to everyone that attended and donated towards the ball. Your donation and support makes it possible for us to continue to build high quality theatrical productions using and featuring young actors, all while teaching classical theatre and literature.
Items from the silent auction are listed below:
- Liz Reed - artist, "Small "stand up" framed art (2 frames)"
- Liz Reed - artist, "Small "stand up" framed art (3 frames)"
- Reed Books, Gift Certificate
- Hart & Soul, Gift Certificate
- North Star Martial Arts, "Gift Cert-Reg fee, uniform, 1 month classes ($200)"
- Robert Trent Jones Golf Course - Oxmoor Valley,2 sets: 2012 trail card & 1 complimentary green fee. '($39.95 per trail card & $52.95 green fee at Oxmr Vall)
- Molly Green (fashionable sundry eco & fair), "Organic Cat Bowl, Garden Bag/Mint, $15 gift cert"
- Ruffner Mountain,Family Membership & Miner's Hat
- AKA Girl stuff,"New Mom & Baby Boy Package"
- Collage Designer Consignment,Necklace & Earrings
- Over Easy, $25 Gift Certificate
- Morgan Walston, Handmade beaded glass earrings
- Nail Fever, Spa Pedicure
- Homewood Gourmet, $25 Gift Certificate
- Bethanne Hill - artist, 5x10 Peacock
- Bethanne Hill - artist, 4x8 Hollyhock Bottle Tree
- Individual Donation,Maruman DCA-1 Driver (demo club)
- Pilates on Highland,3 private lessons
- Dr. Shelleigh Buckingham,Drill mount sunglasses
- Turnbach Design,Coffee Break Gift Basket
- at home,3 tiered turquoise vase
- Pilates on Highland,10 mat classes
- Disney On Ice - Treasure Trove,4 tickets to Disney on Ice at BJCC
- H. Mitchell Nash Photography,One Hour Photography Session
- Molly Green (fashionable sundry eco & fair), "$30 gift cert, AL necklace, Sunnie Socks"
- Individual Donation,Liz Claiborne bag & Purse Caddy
- Donna Williams,"Two bottles of wine, a couple of glasses, smelling soap, gourmet candy, cheesy crackers decorated with masks & beads"
- Individual Donation, 2 tickets to Alabama Gymnastics home opener vs. LSU (Jan. 18) - 4th row seats + 2 T-shirts
- Christy Daniel - Artist,Painting
- Christy Daniel - Artist,Painting
- Turnbach Design,14 x 14 Giclee Canvas Print (Spanish Girl)
- Hopson James Salon,$45 hair cut & style
- Gorham's Bluff - vacation home,Week end rental + either dinner for 2 or breakfast for 4 at the Lodge
- Bethanne Hill - artist,4x8 Rose Bottle Treet
- Bethanne Hill - artist,4x8 Brambles and Bottles
- Dr. Mark Bateman,College Application Counseling Session
- Individual Donation,Maruman Guinness oversized titanium driver (demo club)
- Bethanne Hill - artist,4x6 Iris Bottle Tree
- Bards of Birmingham,"Bards Basket of Goodies: 2 season tickets, t-shirt, key chain, magnet, stuffed Shakespeare doll"
- Birmingham Barons,"4 box seats, 2 youth jerseys, & bobble head"
- McWane Science Center,$95 family membership
- Individual Donation,"Harry Potter ""Mauraders Map"" messenger bag"
- Local Artist (Silver Cicada),Hand crafted leather mask
- Ambiance,Antique print / bust of Shakespeare
- Salon U
*Just a note, photobucket only shows 100 photos in the slideshow, so click the view all button to see all our pictures.
If you are an individual or business that would like to make a donation to support this organization and classical youth theatre, there are volunteer and donation opportunities listed on the Help the Bards page.
As always financial donations are so greatly appreciated as well. We love our donors!!!